Nausea can be frustrating, and even debilitating. Whether you have chronic nausea because of motion sickness, digestive problems, pregnancy, or some other cause, the fact of the matter is that it can truly interfere with your day to day life.
Further complicating the matter is the fact that many of the medications available to help with nausea just aren’t effective. Others might be effective, but might have unwanted side effects. For example, Dramamine works wonders at fixing motion sickness, but it also makes you terribly sleepy. Many anti-nausea medications simply haven’t been tested as safe during pregnancy, meaning that they’re not an option to combat nausea due to morning sickness.
Here are 7 home remedies you can try to help combat your nausea:
- Reduce stress. Stress can be a great contributor to nausea. Stress leads to the overproduction of stomach acid, which will aggravate your nausea. Using relaxation techniques can be very helpful in this regard, including things like yoga or meditation.
- Wrist bands. There are magnetic wrist bands that purport to help with nausea. There are also acupressure bands that may help. These items are readily available in many stores.
- Ginger. Many people have been able to get some nausea relief using ginger. You can get ginger in a number of formats, including as ginger tea, ginger soda, and even ginger nutritional supplement capsules.
- Mint. Like ginger, mint is a herb some people have had luck with. Peppermint tea, real mint candies, and even mint oil aromatherapy are all good options.
- Eat light meals. Often, nausea can be aggravated when you have a full stomach. Avoid getting too hungry or too full; instead of eating three large meals a day, consider having four or five smaller meals.
- Avoid greasy foods. For many people, greasy food will aggravate nausea. Simply cutting those foods out may give you some nausea relief.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol can upset your stomach, even if you’re only having a single drink. This is especially true of drinks that also tend to be acidic, such as wine.
While you can’t guarantee any of these methods will help your situation, each is worth a try.